Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Writer's Guide to Character Traits




One of the most valuable books on my writer’s bookshelf is The Writer’s Guide to Character Traits by Linda N. Edelstein, Ph.D. Lately, I use it so much that it’s just sitting by my writing couch. I don’t think it has been reshelved in a month now.

Yes, currently I have a writing couch. It is necessary for me to spend time with my feet up. I never thought I would write in this position and it did take time for me to get used to it but that’s life and you get used to these things.

I originally purchased this book when I was working on Mysteries. Sections such as its analysis of Psychological Disorders can keep you on track with that murderer.
Currently I am using it for the chapter titled Child and Adolescent Types. Child Development, by age, is particularly helpful for Book #1 and two books down in my series I will be using Crises of Adolescence. Not that I don’t remember enough of that time in my life to get me through. It never hurts to brush up though.

Edelstein covers Love and Marriage, Physical Disorders, Occult Practices, Career Traits, Group Influences, Communication (verbal and nonverbal) and other Character traits.

And, beside all of this, you can finally find out just what is wrong with that weird nephew of yours in the chapter on Psychological Disorders.

No comments: