Saturday, August 16, 2008

ARRGGGrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

That’s as close as I can get to last night’s primal scream. I think I just need to take a break from writing for a few days. I am also coming down with something and am headachy, body achy and feel as if a huffalump has inhabited my body. So, that is probably not helping.

But, my head is ready to explode, because every time I think I am nearing, not perfection, but a well written book, I read someone’s blog on writing and find four more things I need to change and edit for.

I now have four alternate beginnings, two of which fit Author! Author! Author! Author! » Blog Archive » The scariest Halloween ever: submitting your first page to a bunch of agents for critique. This is actually a very interesting and informative blog. But, only two of my openings fit this Blog definition of what a beginning should be. I had dismissed both of these early on for --- I have no idea why. Do I go with my gut?

Okay, in Version one, the reasons are:
1. My protagonist is upset. Yes, this makes him human but does it make him weak? Would boys even read it if there are tears in the eyes of this boy??? This is a middle grade novel.

2. A damaged fairy appears. Fairies play a small part in this book, so I could rewrite it to be another creature, but the fact that a fairy is damaged is important to the story. Would a boy read it if a fairy was in it? Even a damaged fairy?

I’ve just got to stop doing research about writing. It’s driving me nuts. I want this to be the very best it can be, but trying to follow all of everyone's rules is driving me nuts.

I know the revisions are getting better, because both of these two earlier versions may be sound plot and interest wise, but boy they are not written near as well as I thought at the time.

But, am I being too much of a slave to internet advice?

2 comments:

carla said...

cant tell you about slave to internet advice BUT I can get sucked in by all the book advice and my critique group (and then Ive branched out to reading screenwriting books as well---which are helpful but another onslaught of advice :) have you read STORY by McKee?)

my .02?

listen to your gut first and foremost.

MizFit

SAVanVleck said...

Carla,
Thanks for your comment.
I have found, also, that you need to take advice in a critique group depending on who is giving the advice.

I haven't tackled screenwriting advice. It might tighten work up but gosh I have enough problem with novel advice.