Sunday, August 3, 2008

"What if ......"

I think I have lived in a fairy tale world, since I was born. I am often happier being “in” a book than in life and I love to lose myself in a movie. I hate when the lights come up in the theatre. Living in a fantasy world has made it so much easier to come up with ideas for novels. Of course, this is the same woman who once, took a marker and drew out all the pictures I saw in the wood on the bathroom floor. It was the subflooring mind you.

I do look down a lot at things and my mind see pictures that others do not. I often hear, when I point them out to others, “HUH? You see what?”

A story for me needs only a “What if …” My mystery started with “What if a gorilla was kidnapped.”

My YA novel began with “what if…” and an event in my life.

I’m not filling the “what if…” in right now, as it is central to my plot and, I think, so much fun for a fantasy that I want to save it. Hopefully, soon, I will put up the book flap copy that I propose, and it will be in there.

This YA novel, also started from my life and the three boys I am raising. It involves three brothers traveling from their “not so great” life in the human world to a realm that has lived alongside humans since the beginning of time but humans being who they are refuse to acknowledge them. I have used stories told in the history of most cultures. There are always tales, around the fire, of other life forms, from giants to fairies. I have also used a lot of Native American mythology.

So, if you are every sitting there wondering, “What do I write about?” just ask yourself “What if…?” OR, you could try drawing on the bathroom floor.

No comments: