Sunday, August 24, 2008

Help from a Stuffed Bear

I am drawing up a loose outline for each of the other books in my proposed five book series and I keep going back to the thought that something is missing from Book one. This is stalling progress, as I just cannot get my head around what is missing.

In the beginning, my family was a big part of my original idea and we did a lot of brainstorming. Okay, it was not exactly “a lot” of brainstorming. There was a week or so of that and then they lost interest, but they were always willing to answer my questions and give input, as they passed by. Teenage boys, who are now learning what it is like to have a normal life, are busy. We took these guys from their mother three years ago, due to extreme abuse and they have a lot of catching up to do.

So, lately, I have kept my book pretty close to me, but yesterday I just had to talk it out. My husband is disabled; he has been on disability for over eighteen years now and spends a lot of time sitting. He is quiet when I am writing on my book as this is an important occupation for me, but he is there, if I need him.

I had come in from watering the garden and doing some yelling (I don’t do it a lot but as things get tighter and tighter and break and can’t be fixed, it is happening more.). I was angry because we have water leaks everywhere, inside and out, and they are not getting fixed. Then, I apologize and tell him “I’m sorry; I’m just frustrated by the state of the economy.” And, he says he understands because he feels bad he is not contributing enough.

I go back to my writing and outlining, until I turn to him and began telling him my problem:

Me: “I feel like I’m missing a main point in Book one. I have this search for an Aetite.”

Husband opens mouth

I interrupt: “And then there is Phineus, (my Antagonist for book one) who gives him a tracker.”

Husband says, “Ah…..”

I interrupt again: “Oh, and I have to tell you that he has this little creature who is his guide, and becomes his friend and he gives him a gift of the tracker and ….”

Husband just stares.

I continue: “And, at the end … (no spoiler)”

There is a long pause in the conversation as I figure out that I do have what I was afraid I do not have and that is a thread throughout the story.

“See, you are contributing.” I tell him.

His reply: “You could have figured that out by talking to a stuffed bear.”

No comments: