Thursday, October 1, 2009

Time Management

What do you do when life and all the obligations of writing intrude?

Yes, I would definitely rather be creating a new world or editing the new world I have created than, say: paying bills, doing dishes, shopping, driving, just about anything, but the world has demands too.

Right now, we have one decent car and one old rattle-trap. Husband is driving people around. EMT, the middle boy, is the only one of the three with a driver's license. The oldest boy, Gaffer, has never had any interest in driving. I think he is a city boy, but he is learning now because he is back home and his job is around thirty miles away. JRock, the youngest, does not have a permit yet and has gigs to go to and music lessons. His girlfriend has a license so she takes care of the dates.

My jobs, are at home, dishes, bills, etc. You never dawdle over bills and dirty dishes, but I do spend extra time on the internet and that was a bit of the discussion on Read Write Believe: Transcript of the Twitter Chat Between Me and My Editor, Cheryl Klein.

Right now, I am stuck revamping my website. It is currently, if you have never read my considerable complaining about the web site, an artists website, with broken links to sell my artwork. Some of which is already sold and not marked. I am turning it into a web site for promotion of my book.

Big dreams started with doing something with tons of graphics and games for kids. Which I am now realizing is so far above my abilities, or my software, that this, my sixth or more version, is now a quiet, informative version. Not to play games on, just to educate about the world I have lived in for some time ow. The designing is going much faster now and an end is in sight.

That end may be another week away and a library visit to upload it all, but it is in sight. So, my time management is to just spend one hour in the morning on email, Twitter, Facebook and one of my blogs, then get off line. I already am in the habit of getting up, feeding the dog and doing the dishes. Today I need to pay bills for the month and make a grocery list. But, I promise, right after that, I am back to the website.

I am on page eight, twenty-three page to go. Hoping I can do the guestbook. I have code and am saving it for the end. One good thing, now that I have my design with links set in stone, I can just use that as a springboard for all the other pages.

No comments: