Thursday, October 8, 2009

A blog beginning with "I"

I have not been reading much lately but am enjoying the edit I am doing. It is simply, checking tense and cutting deadwood. It is relaxing and I can focus. I do it in between working on my web page. (YES, I am still working on that, eternally.)

I was in the library recently and happened by a poster of the Newbery winners. When the boys were little, I used to check out Caldecott winners, etc all the time. We spent a great deal of time reading together. And, here, on the poster were two books by Lois Lowry on the top row. How could I resist?

I do not know how I have missed Lois Lowry before. I checked-out Number the Stars from the library. I read it through and I am awed by the story, characters, and beauty of the book, and I realized how much I have missed lately, with my head buried in my own book. One part of the beauty of this books is that it is based on one of the true stories of people saving lives during the Holocaust.

I have a weak spot for anything to do with the holocaust. The horrors of the Nuremberg trial were one of the first things I remember watching on television. My boys are used to me talking about those years, when they come home with history assignments, with tears streaming down my face. It is the unspeakable.

I think next time an adult says to me, “Oh, I don’t have time to read.” I will tell them to go to the middle grade section and find a little treasure there.

No comments: