Monday, January 19, 2009

Part 9 - The Web Site Design




The above image is a list of the graphics I am working on and getting ready, to place on my INDEX page. I had to create a lot of these, alter, make the backgrounds invisible, and spend a ton of time just on getting the graphics ready.

You can throw up a webpage in a day, but if you are interested in using the website to sell yourself, as a writer, or your writing, you will need to give some thought to:
1. Why are you doing it?
2. Who do you want to reach?
3. What is your message?

This is the fourth web site I have designed: Three were for my artwork, one for another person. But, I still felt the need to spend a lot of hours, this time, checking out other writers, published and non-published, web sites. I made notes on what I liked and what would work for me and notes on what I thought was bad. I googled “What makes a good web site” and I have read a ton of information on what works and what to avoid in web design. Website Ideas for Writers, is a great site to stop at: Website Ideas for Writers, the official idea site for writers
If you are still unsure if you should have a website, as an unpublished writer, here are some reasons to do it. Dawn Chartier ~ A writers life: Websites for unpublished writers

I have mentioned before that I am going a bit off of the “writers” site advice and going directly for the series of books I am writing. I have a few minor writing credits, like a story in “Good Housekeeping” and I would just like to try something different. To me, I am selling, not just myself, as a writer and my writing, but I am selling this story. I want to make my site fun and interesting and something that might make someone, preferably a twelve year old reader, a teacher or a librarian, refer someone else to look at it, and that might entertain and enlighten an editor or agent.

All the while, keeping this doable with the time I have to invest in this site. So, my design is first. I already mentioned working with Master’s Daughter and others on the design for my site. I want it to be interactive, just a bit, and so I have designed a bulletin board interface, with objects that will move a bit and link to other pages. Is this above my capabilities? Possibly, but that has never stopped me before.

Above my bulletin board will be a line telling my viewer to click there for the Text only version, for accessibility. I am creating a simple link to a text version of the page. I know there are programs that will pick this out, but I am just going to cut and past the text and put it on a simple page with no graphics.

A note here: You need to sit down, at this point, and draw a simple sketch of the layout of your page. Where will your links go? What will they be? What text will you have on your index page (that is your first page)? What colors will you use? Google that if you are unsure, or go to 500+ Named Colours with rgb and hex values and drool over all the great colors you can get. Believe me, it is a lot easier to have your design down on a napkin than to keep redoing it in your WYSIWYG html editor.

After I have my graphics ready, I will print out, to scale, the bulletin board and the graphics and do some cutting. I will probably spend an hour or so rearranging the printed objects on the board until I am pleased with the design. I have found, in the past, that this is the easiest way for me to arrange the look of an element of my page, than doing it by rearranging code within my WYSIWYG editor.

There is a ton of help on the web. Not sure of a background? Google it. Need a template? Google it. Want to look at what others have done? Google it.

No comments: