Monday, July 14, 2008

What Constitutes Offensive Blogging?

I have been struggling all morning, trying to write something on my new blog for writers. This used to be easier, but I have been lead astray by the likes of BrainDebris and Pollyanna.

I originally entered the world of Blogging because I am a writer and I want to be an author (meaning someone actually pays me for writing one of my books), not just once in a while for an article. Since I am at the nearing completion of my twenty billionth edit of my current work-in-progress, I am doing research on agents, editors and marketing. I am an optimistic person.

I have found that writers are supposed to have Web Pages and Blogs. The Web Page I have is to sell my artwork. It’s sorely in need of maintenance anyway, as I have barely touched it in three years. So, I’m working on a total update, to reflect my writing. The Blog is a whole other world.

March of this year is the first time I even read a Blog, let alone posted to one. Never one to shrink from progress, I opened my Blog and I Blogged. Some days, I blogged and then edited twelve times. I began getting the hang it, relaxed and began to enjoy Blogging.

Four months pass and I read that you cannot have things on your blog that an editor/agent might take offense to. Whoops!!!

“Offense” is a very general term. A word may be offensive to one person and not to another. An opinion on a news story may cause an agent or editor to take pause. In this great journey, I hope that I can find an agent and editor who believe in my work and my vision and know that if I do write something they disagree with, it is just my opinion and I am not stupid enough to insult my agent at lunch. Editorial Ass: How Important Is Your Book, or, Top Ten Ways to Blow a Book Deal #4.

July 14, 2008
Today, I read a post on, http://shrinkingvioletpromotions.blogspot.com/ . In it she states that you should not say anything in your blog that you would not say at a podium. I think that straightens it out for me. It makes sense also. Especially when your work is for a young adult market.

No comments: