Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Truth of Plotting

Plotting can strike terror in a writer’s heart. It is one factor that kept my Mystery from being sent out into the world. I knew something was wrong but, no matter how many books I read, I just could not quite figure out if I was doing it right or not.

It is estimated there are only twenty plots, yet plotting can be one of the most difficult concepts for a writer to deal with. In my not-so final, final edit, of my YA novel, I am using Beverly Brandt’s 12 step plot. See: ttp://www.beverlybrandt.com/spreadsheet.htm.

Somehow, I have apparently absorbed more about plotting than I knew, as my plot was dead on until I got to Plot step 9, which is when the worse thing happens to your character. It has to shake up his world and cause him to feel like he will never recover. I have a feeling, when I go back and review my Mystery, that this will be the same spot I bogged down in it. It was an easy fix because I did have things happening, I just needed to up the stakes.

Another article I have found helpful is by Kathye Quick on AuthorsDen. Plotting the Romance Novel (article) by Kathye Quick on AuthorsDen. Kathye points out that Plot is not an object. It is a concept that "touches every word we write". It actually organizes our writing. This is a great article, so take a look.

I highly recommend you stop on over to Beverly Brandt's site, as well as read Kathye Quick's on AuthorsDen. It doesn't matter what type of fiction you work on, Plot is still Plot.

No comments: