Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Chemistry of Death by Simon Beckett


I am so excited by THE BEST mystery I have ever read; and believe me, I started with A and went to Z in Mysteries, at the Lake County Public Library, in Indiana. It’s a research library and it’s hugely wonderful. This is The Chemistry of Death, by Simon Beckett. I am not the best reviewer in the world, but gosh this book is so good, I can’t wait to read his second book. His web site is www.simonbeckett.com.

I do my treadmill each morning. I do not find this a particularly fascinating pastime and I’m at a slow pace yet, so I read to pass the time. This is not the easiest thing to do on the Body for Life Program, as you increase and decrease speeds constantly. I try to reserve the book for the treadmill, thereby: 1. Having something to read each day and 2. Forcing me to work on my own YA Novel and not sit all day and read someone else’s book.

First day, with The Chemistry of Death, I did my time, pulled the plug and stood on the machine for another fifteen minutes, reading. I finally had to sit down and forced myself to leave the book on the machine. Day two, FORGET THAT, I read on the treadmill and took the book with me, when I was done. I spent the rest of the day, feet up, reading the most wonderful Mystery writing I have encountered in a long time, maybe ever.

This is Simon Beckett’s first novel. I first wrote a line here about his words being poetry, but when I turned his book over to view the reviews on the back jacket, Tess Gerritsen said that already. She also said, what I also found out, that she “couldn’t put it down.” His words just suck you in to the story. You walk the same path as the protagonist; getting drenched with water, falling in love with the people in the town and hating others. He is as mislead as you are.

But, oh how he handles all of it. You think you know who the Antagonist is; oh no, it must be this fellow, no it could be that guy, and soon you just forget trying to guess, because you are enjoying the journey so much. The end is the same way. No spoiler here because this book is just too good to do that to you. It will surprise you at the end. In fact, it will do this more than once.

Even if you are not “into” mysteries, this is a must read book.

No comments: