Monday, December 7, 2009

Write what you are passionate about, even if it is not vampires

In my agent compatibility search, I ran across an interesting post. Agent in the Middle's take of the current market is:
it's become increasingly difficult to sell any genre fiction from a male
protagonist's perspective, unless he's really hot. But even if he's a really hot
teen vampire, it's better to tell the story from a female point of view."

I am no expert. While this is not my first manuscript, it will be the first I am actively pursuing and, early on, I fell into the trap of fretting over every single thing I read.

So, am I going to stop pursuing my male viewpoint fantasy story, sans vampire? No!

You have to write what you feel passionate about and I am passionate about this manuscript.

You have to figure that it can take upwards of two years to get your work out into the buying market. While female vampire stories are the current hot topic, two years from now it is going to be brothers living in a tree, or something you cannot even imagine.

Write from your heart and write with passion.

No comments: