Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The world we live, or read, in.

I love to get transported to a new world, so when I began on my fantasy, I had great fun creating my character's new environment. Today, I read the post, The Importance of World building Uncreated Conscience and was reminded of several of my favorite "new worlds."

Memoirs of a Geisha, Girl With a Pearl Earring, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are all favorites for me. I think we all tend to enjoy escaping our lives for a good read or movie.

JJ says:

...what makes a work of fiction with great worldbuilding stand out is the
implicit understanding the writer creates about the values of the society in
which the novel is set.



I think this is a major part of world building and is a good place to start building. Without consciously thinking about it being a basis of the world, my whole "what if" idea for Moon Tree Brothers is based on a conversation, or argument actually, wherein it was said that we just had a "difference of opinion in child rearing."

From this grew a world of dragon men, dwarfs and fairies, all dedicated to protecting children, and magical electrical energy that we are depleating by our increasing violence. They work to erase the 'Unknown Darkness' that is affecting the world we live in. They would like to do it without violence, but is that possible?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is fantastic, what an attachment of yours towards nature, its really touching, great work. You are certainly multi-talented.Keep it up.

r4i

SAVanVleck said...

Thank you, Holy.

Jess said...

I feel exactly the same way about The Girl with a Pearl Earring, Harry Potter, Memoirs of a Geisha, LOTR, etc.! It's like as soon as I begin reading any of these novels, I'm immediately transported to that author's reality. For instance, I felt like I was trailing alongside Griet when she was forced to leave the comfort of her parents and sister to serve the Vermeer family. Or I was attending Hogwarts and taking my OWLS alongside Harry Potter. And it was me who patiently sat and watched Sayuri assemble her Kimono before heading out to the local teahouses. Sorry to make a novel out of a comment, but I got really excited when you named novels we both mutually have an interest in. Anyway, I look forward to following your post in the future!

SAVanVleck said...

Thank you, Jess. I too am a Lord of the Rings fan. Books are such a great way to escape to a fantastic world.

I have not been writing regularly lately due to a crashed computer and a stubborn new one that does not like my dial-up access. I am not all that fond of it either, but it is what I have. So please bear/bare (sp?) with me a while and I will be back to posting on a more regular basis soon.