Thursday, August 27, 2009

Constant Confusion - now Organization

I live with confusion. My manuscript is written and edited and edited and edited. I figure about a hundred and five times at the beginning and at least fifteen edits towards the end. I have had two other people read it and I read it aloud. THAT (reading it aloud) was an invaluable edit. Never skip that. I have two more people who are in the process of reading it and while they are doing that, I started preparing my accompanying documents.

I started off with the log line. It is the TV Guide version of your story and it needs to be gripping and sexy and tantalyzing. I spent days on this and endless versions. That was when I decided I was going about this, yet again, wrong.

So, I went back through all my notes and made a list of exactly what documents I need to have to submit. Now, some of these are not needed to submit but, when that agent calls up and says, "Hey, love your manuscript. I need a one page bio by tomorrow." or "I need an eight page synopsis and your marketing plan." You better be ready.

Realizing that I need several various versions of several things, I decided it was easier for me to start with the longest version of synopsis, bio, outline, whatever, and get that exciting and vivid and then use it to edit a shorter version. I think that will work best for me rather than starting with a short version and going back to a longer version.

I have a list, note, I have hints on each line, but that's not all:
  1. TO DO YET:
    1. Know where your book would sit on the shelf & Read each of these from PAPER OUT LOUD
  2. Outline
    a. Moon Tree Brothers Book Long
    b. Moon Tree Brothers Book Short
    c. Moon Tree Series
  3. Synopsis: See 12 things a synopsis should do
    a. Long – 8 pages – for Manuscript Submission
    b. Long – 3 to 5 pages – for Manuscript Submission
    c. Short – 2 pages – for Manuscript
    d. Short – 1 page – for Manuscript
    e. Query Synopsis
    f. Flap Synopsis
    g. Log Line
  4. Query letter that honestly represents your book
  5. Bio: Third person, not first – Times New Roman - 12 point – 1” margins with heading above centered (Sheryl Adair VanVleck and next line centered Author bio) You are interesting
    a. Web page longer for Web
    b. Web page 2/3 to 1 page – double spaced page for the Web Page and book/agents without photo
    c. 1/3 to ½ single spaced if author’s photo included - page for Book and Agents (200-250 words)
    d. 50 word for Amazon and Blogs
    e. Short bio blurb for book jacket
    f. My Education
    g. My Writing Credits
  6. Marketing Points
  7. Build Web Site - Conform all: Web page/blogs/myspace/facebook/twitter
  8. Send: As much of manuscript as requested, ONLY IF RQUESTED

Now, some of these things, like flap copy, I am not responsible for, but I think it is a good exercise for me and also, I may use it on my web site. Yes, I know exactly how long I have been working on that website. I decided the wording I was struggling with for the web site were the same things I need for these documents, so why not just do these first and take the wording from there.

Told you I am a slow learner! Toon in again, for what I did next. "and that's not all."

No comments: