Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Writer's Journal Wednesday, or not

I thought it might be a unique idea to use December 4th’s actual assignment from Amazon.com: The Aspiring Writer's Journal: Susie Morgenstern, Theresa Bronn: Books
You are bored to death.
Why?
Where are you?
Who are you with?

First, we are going to presume you are not bored to death, since you are reading this highly informative, albiet wrongly labeled blog. Did I mention that I thought today was Wednesday the 4th? It is not, it is Wednesday the 3rd. Oh well!

Being bored is a concept that I have never understood. I think it is less of an issue when you have grown up with less: less entertainment, less things, less neighbors, less tv, less—actually no computer and no video games and no DVD movies to watch whenever you want.

I had a homemade wooden square box to put my toys in, as a child. I think it was about 3’x3’. Things that did not go in it were few. We received the bulk of our toys, for the year, on Christmas. Birthdays were basically a one-gift deal and Easter was candy and trinkets. I never felt deprived, but then I didn’t watch tv with the thought of “I should own all of that.”

Maybe, because I had the most wonderful toy ever. I had a half acre of safe land to play on. There were clouds, trees, flowers, clover, a ditch, a bit of a hill from the house, sandbox, and swings. And, if the weather was bad, I could go inside and read or draw or write. How could anyone be bored in such a paradise?

I just cannot imagine ever being bored, even yet.

No comments: