Thursday, May 30, 2013

A follow up to Author Bios - using mine

I am not sure that I was clear enough yesterday in the bios. So, today I will use one of my drafts to show you what I did.

#1: Bio for Twitter or Elevator  Pitch. It is a micro bio and in the first person. You start with your name, occupation and accomplishments.

My name is Sheryl A. VanVleck. I graduated from the School of the Art Institute in Chicago, IL. I am a portrait artist and sculptor, and member of SCBWI. I live with my husband and two grandsons in Indiana.

I'm not sure this is telling enough really. Where is the I have written and what is it about, so I will have to work on it more.

#2:    Bio for Query letters and Social Media - this is 50 words and first person.

My name is Sheryl A. VanVleck. I am a graduate of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and I have completed two years at the University of Illinois - Chicago Circle for pre-law; with honors. I am a portrait artist and sculptor, and member of SCBWI. I live in Indiana with my husband and two grandsons.

#3:  Bio for Bylines and Book Jackets - again 50 words but you change it to third person.

Sheryl A. VanVleck is a graduate of  ...

#4: Short Bio of 100 words that could work for book cover and is in third person.

Sheryl A. VanVleck is a graduate of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and has completed two years at University of Illinois-Chicago Circle for pre-law; with honors. She was inducted into Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society for freshmen women and became an Edmund J. James Scholar. Throughout her five years of college, a consistent thread has run through her education as teachers encouraged her to become a writer. She won a Good Housekeeping paid contest and publication; as well as had numerous articles published in art magazines. She is a professional portrait artist and sculptor, and member of SCBWI. She lives in Indiana with her husband and two grandsons.

#5: one page bio in third person: add 'nice to know' and sums you up completely.

I am not typing all of it. I found errors in the ones I had done already, but I have added, a published author recommending my mystery manuscript to her agent, Rendezvous' experience used in my fantasy, and a "Seeds for Seniors" program I have been promoting. 

Hope this helps you get your bios in order. Everything I read, said you need to keep a variety of updated bios on hand.  A writers work is never done.

No comments: