Sunday, September 14, 2008

What makes a 'book' person

I am not usually a person to do what is “in” but anyone remember Rod McKuen? He was a popular poet some time ago, in my youth, I was in love with his poetry and had several of his books. I read and reread that book that was my favorite until the binding was broken and in sections. It was even one of the books that I 'defaced' by writing in it.

Many, many years ago, a new 'sort of'' boyfriend borrowed it. He wanted to share. Then, sometime later, he wanted to do something nice for me and he returned it.

Only, it was not my book he returned. It was a sterile, brand new book; in one piece without any dog ears, or spiffy little notes in my handwriting. He was most proud of giving me this pristine new book; thus improving my ife. He really thought he had done me a favor. Needless to say…

I never went out with him again.

He had no understanding of what a favorite book can mean to a person.

No comments: